Online media and advertising are constantly evolving. This is my conglomeration of online media, search engine marketing and other social media news that interests me, and hopefully you.

7.09.2007

Live Earth - The Great Idea that No One Watched

When I asked my pool of friends who had watched Live Earth this weekend, I got a couple responses:
"About 15 minutes of it."

"What's 'Live Earth'?"

"Eh, Looked boring."

"What was that about again? Al Gore?"
These people are 25-30 somethings, early adopters, contantly on the net, Tivo-addicted and politically-minded young advertising geeks. So it's not like they are plugged out from what's happening in today's culture, in advertising, or on the concert or major event scene. I don't really fault them at all. I think in the week leading up to Live Earth, I recall it being advertised zero times on television. That's not to say it wasn't advertised, I just don't recall it.

As far as online advertising, I seem to remember some blog posting about it, but mostly about the lack of advertising. I seem to recall the names of the advertisers more than the talent lineup though to be honest. Before watching the multicast concerts this weekend, I didn't have a clue who would be performing.

I honestly enjoyed most of what I saw. There were some major sound issues through most of the morning and early afternoon. Some caused by the performers themselves, and others were just straight technical difficulties. It was more apparent in the locations where the performers were dripping sweat that the vocal quality suffered the most.

So I visited the LiveEarth site today to see if there were any links, blog entries, widgets or any other cool stuff I could link my blog to and really didn't find anything, other than the MSN link to the videos. It is a very content-rich site but as far as user-engagement goes, the site is lacking. There was a lot to read, just nothing that made me actually want to read any of it. Because I already had an understanding of what Live Earth was trying to accomplish, I stayed to read and learn more, but the casual visitor might not stick around and dig through the site with the amount of vigor that I did. My suggestion? Introduce Earth 2.0 to Web 2.0 and get the people involved in the revolution.

If you do check out the site though (45 minutes and I just figured out where the blog was), find your carbon footprint. Mine was in the mid-400s. I really need to upgrade my van.

No comments: